Call for Qualifications
The position of Fund Advisor for the Nonprofit Management Fund is open, and the Fund’s
Committee is seeking applicants. The Fund Advisor role is an independent contractor
relationship with the Greater Milwaukee Foundation. The duration of the contract is an initial 12-month engagement with an option to renew. Executing the role requires that the consultant has his or her own administrative support infrastructure, office space to convene meetings with nonprofit partners, dedicated phone line for NMF, and insurance coverage. The Fund Advisor will be prohibited from working with nonprofit clients who qualify to receive grants from the Fund. Qualified applicants are organizations located in Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee, and Washington Counties whose annual budgets DO NOT exceed $3 million.
Interested candidates should submit a Letter of Interest that lists in detail their qualifications for the position along with a bio/cv/vitae by Wednesday, August 5. Interviews will be conducted on August 7, 10, and 12. Late applications will not be accepted.
The Fund Advisor’s responsibilities for managing the NMF grant process include:
• Cultivate proposals for submission to the Fund; advise grant applicants on guidelines, criteria, and reporting requirements; conduct site visits and meet with applicants and grantees as needed; determine need and format for workshops on issues that frequently arise during the application process.
• Review applications for due diligence and adherence to guidelines; complete data entry into Greater Milwaukee Foundation grants management system; prepare applicant review summaries and grant award recommendations for grant review Committee members; notify applicants of Committee decisions and process for distributing grants; enter required information in Greater Milwaukee Foundation grant system to facilitate grant payment;
• Prepare materials for three Policy and Planning committee meetings annually; prepare annual budget for approval; prepare and provide quarterly reports to Fund Committee; prepare and disseminate a monthly breakdown of anticipated revenues and expenses; monitor budget spending implementation to facilitate timing of grant payments based on available funds;
• Read grant evaluation reports and discuss challenges with grantees; solicit feedback on projects completed and overall Fund process and communicate feedback to Committee;
• Manage ongoing special projects;
• Draft policies for Committee review and approval where appropriate; update
Committee on special projects and community needs and trends;
• Review financial data generated by Greater Milwaukee Foundation accounting system, report any changes needed, and incorporate financial data into reports provided to the Committee; compile cycle and annual statistics; prepare an annual report, including a reconciliation of budget to actual results using financial statements received from the Greater Milwaukee Foundation;
• Submit proposals annually to Committee Members/Funding Partners in accordance with each funder’s process and timeline; answer partner inquiries between meetings;
• Monitor and utilize dedicated e-mail address for Fund electronic correspondence;
Provide information to update Fund website.
Success in the role of the Fund Advisor requires the following:
• Demonstrated experience as independent consultant working in the nonprofit sector;
• Ability to exhibit a balance of relational and transactional skills in interactions with
• Broad-based experience in engaging with nonprofits across multiple disciplines and sectors;
• Cultural foundation with demonstrated experience working with diverse populations across gender, gender identity, ethnicity, race, religion, etc.;
• Advising and coaching experience with nonprofit organization leaders;
• A consulting attitude and philosophy of “with them vs for them;”
• Verbal, written, and interpersonal communications proficiency;
• Technical proficiency with web-based platforms for data entry, documentation, and reporting.